If you have stayed with flatmates, then you know that it’s not just living room but even sharing the kitchen space has its own challenges. At times it can be infuriating but then there are times when it is fantastic to share the heart of the home with your roommate. You are blessed if you have someone who loves to experiment with different dishes. With the ongoing festive season, it is time you step in, offer a helping hand to your friend and bake some relishing and mouthwatering fruit cakes.
Who doesn’t like fruitcakes? In winters, fruit cakes are the best dessert that you can gorge on. Here are the top 5 fruit cake recipes that are easy to bake, bring in amazing texture while are incredibly tasty too.
1. Poor Man’s Fruitcake –
- One cup pecans
- Three cup raisins
- Sixteen oz gum drops
- One tablespoon vanilla
- One tablespoon hot water
- One tablespoon baking soda
- One and a half cup apple sauce
- One-fourth teaspoon cloves, salt, and nutmeg
- One teaspoon cinnamon
- Four cups flour
- Two eggs
- One cup white and brown sugar each
- One cup butter
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Now grease the loaf pans with brown paper. In one bowl, sift flour and other spices. Cut the gumdrops and mix. Add nuts, raisins, flour. In another bowl, cream the eggs, sugar, and butter. Now add apple sauce to the flour mixture. Next add hot water, soda and beat well. Finally, add vanilla and nuts mixture. Bake this mixture for two hours. Take out and allow it to cool. Slice and serve with hot coffee.
2. Fruit Cake Cookies
- One tablespoon lemon juice
- One cup icing sugar
- One-fourth cup sour cream
- One large egg
- Two-third cup packed brown sugar
- Four tablespoons unsalted butter
- One-fourth tablespoon salt
- One fourth baking soda
- Half tablespoon baking powder
- One and a half cup flour – all purpose
- One and a half cup fruitcake mix
- Three tablespoon brandy
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Use parchment and line two baking sheets. In a bowl, mix salt, baking soda, powder, and flour. Stir well. Take fruitcake mix and brandy in another microwave bowl and microwave until it becomes bubbly. Let it cool. Now beat sugar, butter and eggs using an electric mixer in a large bowl. Add remaining flour, sour cream and allow it to cream well. Finally, add the flour and brandy mixture and beat well. Drop tablespoon of this mixture on the baking sheet with a distance of 2 inches between each drop. Bake until brown or golden brown. Allow it to cool. Whisk it with lemon juice of icing sugar. Serve with hot cocoa.
3. Homemade Fruitcake by mom
- Two cans of condensed milk
- Three tablespoon flour
- Four pkg of coconut
- One cup of pecans chopped
- One cup of chopped pineapple
- One cup of chopped dates
- One cup of chopped cherries
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix the ingredients well and add this to a pan that is greased with parchment paper or brown paper. Bake the mixture for 90 minutes. Allow it to cool. Pour hot chocolate over it and serve.
4. No-Bake Fruitcake
- Four cups crumbs of graham cracker
- Half teaspoon of salt, cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg
- One fourth cup cherry candies
- Two cups of walnuts and almonds (chopped)
- One cup dried currants
- Two cups of chopped dates and pineapples
- Two cups of mini marshmallows
- Two cups of raisins
- Fourteen oz condensed milk
Mix all the ingredients properly into a bowl. Now transfer this to a loaf pan which is greased properly. Cover and allow it to stand at a cool place for 2 hours. Cut into slices and serve. Age of this cake is one week to 10 days.
5. Christmas Wreath Conventional Fruitcake
- Two tablespoon lemon juice
- Four eggs
- One tablespoon lemon zest
- One-fourth cup white sugar
- One cup butter
- Half cup salt
- Three cups flour
- One tablespoon baking powder
- Half cup coconut grated
- Three fourth cup dates, pineapple and cherries (red and green)
- One and a half cup raisins
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. In a bowl mix the last eight ingredients. Now take another bowl and mix lemon juice, eggs, lemon zest, sugar, and butter. Cream this mixture. Finally add flour and mix well. Bake this mixture for two hours. Allow it to cool. Slice and serve with ice cream scoop.
Surely these fruitcake recipes will help you make some of the best fruitcakes you have ever made or tasted. Add these to your arsenal while you gear up for the new year party!